OK – so you’ve decided to transition from traditional static signage to digital signage. Now it’s time to determine what that signage will look like and how you can best engage your viewers. In a society where most of us are fully accustomed to interacting with our personal phones it is expected that any monitor we see will allow us to touch it and manipulate it. So why not use INTERACTIVE content that truly engages the viewer. The viewer is no longer looking at your information – they are becoming involved with it.
Interactivity provides other great advantages for digital signage as well.
- You have the ability to provide significantly more (virtually unlimited) information on that single canvas as each touch can provide a new screen and new experience.
- You can design the splash screen to be more universal in appeal and provide the user the opportunity to take a path that is more specific to his/her tastes.
- You can gather information as your user navigates through the site (what clicks did they take showing customer preferences). You can ask them specific questions with the intent to add them to your database and at the same time get insight into their wants/needs.
And think of the applications that are perfect for interactivity:
- Wayfinding: The user finds and requests the desired location
- Directories: Whether in the lobby of an office building or an Alumni Directory at a school
- Menu Boards/Ordering food
And the interaction doesn’t have to be generated by a touch. It can be done through any number of actions such as the kiosks at stadiums that entertain visitors allowing them to simulate kicking a field goal, or others that “see” your body and face and guess your age and gender.
The possibilities are endless and the only limitation is your imagination.